searching the mailing list archives

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Dec 27 14:35:25 EST 2004

On Monday 27 December 2004 2:20 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> Right now, it seems that I can only search up to 10 months of
> gnucash-devel mailing list archive at once.  How hard would it be to
> allow the user to search all available months at one go?

There are an enormous number of files to search and the reason it's paged in
that way is to reduce the number of timeouts on the server.

It's not a simple matter of extending the search once an archive has been
searched, the number of files is assessed first to determine the paging
interval. That alone makes it impractical to go back more than 10 archives.

Extending to 12 may be possible but nothing beyond that - it was all tested
during development. Anything more than 12 gave a timeout about 1 time in 3.
That simply isn't acceptable. I took the decision to limit to 10 - moving to
12 is not worth the increased timeouts.

In short, it is beyond the limits of the server timeout.

--

Neil Williams