Null Account and more

Perry Smith pedz at easesoftware.net
Sun Jul 25 09:41:15 EDT 2004

Could you explain that to me?

The documentation (design document) says that the value of an account
is equal to the splits in it plus the sum of all of the subaccounts.
If some are income and others are expenses, I don't see how that can be
true.

The design document also causes me to worry because it does not sound
like the engine is using GAP rules.  By that I mean that:

Liabilities = Assets + Owners Equity

So, the sum of the splits in a transaction do not sum up to 0, they
balance out -- which is a more complex question.  i.e.  If I pay from
an asset (e.g. Cash) to a liability (e.g. Note), the equation looks
like:

-100 (Note Liability account) = -100 (Cash asset account)

It should not (from an accountant's perspective) look like:

0 = -100 (Cash account) + 100 (Liability account)

The same is true for income and expense.  If I pay for gas from my
salary income it would look like:

100 (salary income) = 100 (gas expense)

But if gas is a child of salary, it seems to me that it would be
incorrect:

+- 100 salary
  |-+- 100 gas

would make salary  be 200