g-wrap (was Re: QOF won't link)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 20 12:44:10 EDT 2004

linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:33:46AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
>>
>> Basically, I think we need to re-think the C<->scheme interaction,
>
> I've wanted to change gnucash reports to a completely different
> mechanism, somthing that uses e-guile or the nearly-equivalent
> trick I use in gnotime.  (This is what I asked the coder to code
> initially, but they didn't want to do it that way.)

Too many schemers.  Some people think even eguile is "too hard"
for the average person.  But I don't see why it's any more difficult
than, say, PHP.

> I am loathe to start any discussion on this right now, because
> I'm busy with other things.

Yea, let's table this discussion until we get the other tasks
finished.  We don't need to do this right now.

>> and how scheme is used as an extension/configuration language.
>
> Yeah, I guess it didn't quite work out as envisioned.

That's an understatement.  The whole modularization project failed
horrendously and has been the bane of gnucash ever since!

> Gnome GConf seems to be the standard gnome way of soring config
> entries.  I don't quite like the way GConf is currently
> implemented, but I'm guessing that it should be pretty future-proof,
> and get improved eventually.

My only concern is distributed computing.  So long as the user's gconf
data is stored in their home directory and not in some central gconf
database then I don't mind using gconf.  But that's only a small
portion of the scheme issue.