lib/libc/strptime.h|c

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Aug 7 14:22:20 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 18:08 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:

> There is absolutely no reason to lump in the entire Gtk just to set a few
> configuration options in the backend.

I agree with you.  Today, Gnucash is definitely a gnome application so
gconf is guaranteed to be present.  When you pull QOF out into a
separate library the problem needs to be addressed.  The new gnucash
preferences code is built on glade files, and all callback functions in
the glade files are instantiated.  It would be simple enough to change
the two file backend related preferences from using gconf to some other
method.  However, that would introduce inconsitencies in how gnucash
preferences are stored.  I'd much rather QOF have API functions to set
the compression and backup values.  That would leave gnucash with
consistent preferences storage, and would allow different applications
using QOF to have different preference settings.

> Nothing else needs gconf in the CLI
> code so I'll work on removing it from the GnuCash XML v2 backend. Ideas would
> be welcome!
>
> I can always use a preprocessor directive if it has to be that way - I'll just
> need another way to implement CashUtil configuration. Ponders: .ini files
> maybe? (or did I mean .rc files?)

See g_key_file_xxx().  Requires glib 2.6 which is more recent than the
current gnucash requirement (glib 2.4).

> > evolution.*  This implies that any distribution that supports gnome is
> > guaranteed to have gconf installed.
>
> Not true. It is only guaranteed to support Gconf, not have it installed.

We have different definitions of "gnome".

> Gconf would be installed *only* if the full Gnome desktop is installed - I've
> got systems that run Gnome code that have no X server installed because they
> have no graphics cards. So Gtk is not available, Evolution isn't installed
> (neither is X) but libxml2, glib and QOF are all installed, along with
> PilotQOF, pilot-link and lots of others.

None of "libxml2, glib, pilot-link" are gnome libraries.  Gnome-pilot is
gnome code, but pilot-link isn't.

> I have systems that run distributions that support Gnome but they don't have
> GConf installed - they do have GLib, but not GConf.

Glib is not gnome.  Yes, its a library that began with gnome, but its
now a system portability library that lives underneath gtk.  By gnome I
mean libgnome and any libraries that live on top of that.  Note that
glib is documented at www.gtk.org, not www.gnome.org.

A quick google search turned up these quotes from KDE mailing lists
about glib:

	"So please do not think of glib as a 'GNOME' library, it is
	more correct to think of it as a glibc extension to make
	life easier for C developers."

	"And this phobia spreads to glib, which is NOT a GNOME
	technology per se, but just a convenience library with
	lotsa easy functions and an object system."

David