Backend configuration support

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Aug 23 03:41:59 EDT 2005

Derek Atkins schrieb:
> I'm trying to wrap my head around where these translations live...

Actually I wanted to point out this very same issue: Translations
currently do *only* exist in the po/LANG.po files, *nowhere* else. I
would strongly suggest to keep it this way. It shouldn't be too
difficult to have some code internally that will pass the option
description through gettext once. But you shouldn't start any
additionaly place where translations should go.

By the way this structure directly invites option inconsistencies across
languages... and also you should probably have at least two different
descriptions for one option: One "normal description" which will be
displayed as label, and another description that can be displayed as
tooltip. I would therefore rather suggest this schema (sorry, I'm not
too familiar with xsd right now):

<xsd:complexType name="qofprovider">
   <xsd:sequence>
     <xsd:element name="option" type="qofconfig:qofoption" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
   </xsd:sequence>
</xsd:complexType>
<xsd:complexType name="qofoption">
   <xsd:sequence>
     <xsd:element name="description" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="1"
maxOccurs="1"/>
     <xsd:element name="tooltip" type="xsd:string" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="1"/>
   </xsd:sequence>
   <xsd:attribute name="type" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
   <xsd:attribute name="name" type="xsd:string" use="required"/>
   </xsd:extension>
</xsd:complexType>
</xsd:schema>

Also, you might consider changing the attribute name "name" into
something more precise, maybe "key" or similar.

But I really strongly suggest *not* to have any translations anywhere
outside the po/LANG.po files.

Christian