libguile-ltdl problem

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 27 12:17:33 EST 2005

Quoting David Reiser <DBREISER at earthlink.net>:

> compiling 12184, I run into a problem:

[snip]
> grep: /sw/lib/libguile-ltdl.la: No such file or directory
> /sw/bin/sed: can't read /sw/lib/libguile-ltdl.la: No such file or  directory
> libtool: link: `/sw/lib/libguile-ltdl.la' is not a valid libtool archive
>

> I  do have a libguile-ltdl.1.0.0.dylib, created at the same time as
> the rest of my libguile files. And there are some .la files, but not
> one associated with -ltdl. Have I munged my /sw/lib directory?

You might have munged it.  What this implies is that you have one .la file
(lets call it "x.la") that references libguile-ltdl.la.   But while the
latter file was not installed, the former (x.la) IS installed, referencing
the (non-installed) libguile-ltdl.la file.  So, you have two choices.
You can find and install libguile-ltdl.la..  Or you can figure out what
x.la is and remove that, too.

For the record, this is exactly why I think that installing .la files
is /just wrong/ in ALL cases.

> Mac 10.4.3, gcc 3.3

Thanks for saying this all the time.  It really does help to know
exactly what system you're using.  Even though it might be repetative,
when we get tons of emails all the time it really helps keep context.
I wish everyone did this on every email :)

> Derek: Thanks for the gog-radar fix.

You're welcome.  That one was an easy one.  :)