Format of some XML files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 24 16:00:45 EST 2005

Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 24 February 2005 20:28, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Quoting Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de>:
> [...]
>> Well, yes, that's a known limitation of libofx at this point in time.
>> Benoit would certainly like to support DirectConnect in libofx but his bank
>> doesn't support it (and he has very little time), so he's had little
>> personal incentive to actually implement DirectConnect support into libofx.
>>
>> I'm sort of mixed as to whether OFX Direct Connect should go into libofx
>> (where I think it belongs), or AqBanking (which already has an "initiate
>> transaction" model).  There are certainly benefits and drawbacks to either
>> approach.  From a UI Perspective I don't know what the differences would be
>> if we initiate a transaction via HBCI or OFX; I don't know whether using
>> the same library there would help or not.
> [...]
> I would also very much prefer libofx to do this (that would spare me of having
> to write this myself ;-)

Or... you could add the code to libofx.  I'm sure Benoit would love
the patches and gladly push out a new release.

> However, connecting to the server, creating and sending requests is not very
> much of a deal. The difficult part is parsing the responses, which is already
> very well done by Benoits' library (which I would use for this purpose of
> course).

Hmm, Okay..  I don't know how hard it would be once you want to do
something like actually initiate transactions using DirectConnect.
Sure, the "connect and pull down transactions" communication is easy,
but once you want to push transactions upstream it might make more
sense to do it from libofx..  Maybe...  I don't know.

> My focus is the interface: Currently AqBanking supports the German HBCI
> protocol and a paperless exchange backend (German DTAUS). I just added the
> latter backend and instantly GnuCash is able to create DTAUS discs without
> changes to the code.

What about MT940?  OpenHBCI used to support that.. ;)

Modifying the gnucash UI isn't all that difficult, IMHO.

> That's what I have in mind for OFX as well...
>
> Anyway, I'm currently planning and gathering information, so please feel free
> to state any additional objections or ideas ;-)

Oh, I certainly don't object..  In the end I want to see the
functionality, regardless of how it's implemented.