inter-operability CVS

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Jan 5 09:58:02 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 06:35, Neil Williams wrote:
> Does anyone have ideas on how to best solve issues around writing code
> *between* three projects?
[deletia]
> Currently, I host pilot-link, gnucash and QOF on a CVS server on my home
> network (not public) and I commit to those as I develop the code. I update
> each one using vendor branches in the CVS but this is a painstaking process.

Certainly it is.  You're trying to do something well outside of CVS's
capabilities; this is why kernel development moved to bitkeeper, which
has better support for slaving private repositories from others, and
moving change-sets between those workspaces.

I'd either find a way to minimize or stop having multiple outstanding
and inter-related changes sets across multiple projects [!], or use a
different RCS ... however, since you're not going to be able to get
those other projects to use bitkeeper, you're not going to see much of a
benefit.

You may also want to look into the collection of change-control scripts
that linas and others were using before the BK switchover.

> Knowing the difficulties pilot-link have had with CVS on a public server, I
> don't want to just host my current local CVS repository publicly (even though

What "difficulties"?

...jsled