ping...

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Sun Jul 17 22:42:58 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:47:12AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:
>
> > BTW: my investigations into using GtkTreeModel for a new register are
> > looking even better than I hoped.  I had an intitial, very rough
> > concept working with GtkListStore, then with GtkTreeStore.  That
> > convinced me that the *display* portion would work, even some of the
> > dynamic tree behavior.  Then, I had to convert to a custom
> > GtkTreeModel, that provided for iteration over Transactions and
> > Splits, the result of a Query.  That convinced me that the *editing*
> > portion was feasible (possibly modulo some remaining GtkCellEditable
> > issues).  So, there's a few more details to flesh out, but I'm
> > optimistic that it will be workable.  Incidentally, if it is workable,
> > I estimate it'll be about 1/5 the complexity of src/register/*.  The
> > GtkTreeModel interface is decently defined, and its interaction with
> > GtkTreeView and friends is where much of the complexity is hidden by
> > gtk.
>
> Cool..  Are you also taking into account the business ledger, which
> uses the same underlying register interfaces that the split register
> does? (just wondering)..

Sorry to take so long to respond... I wanted to at least look at the
business ledger before responding.  Then RealLife interposed...

Anyway, I don't think I use the business ledger (you mean something
other than the AR/AP ledger, I'm sure, right?) so, no, I haven't
considered it yet.  I was trying to investigate today but I can't get
g2 to run.  If I try to create a new COA, it crashes at the end of
some "merge" druid.  If I try to open an existing file, it crashes
then.  I'll wait a bit for CVS to settle down before trying again.

Until then, I've got some bugs in my stand-alone app to track.  And
then I could always read the business ledger code...  I'll get back to
you on this.

-chris