pango_layout_set_text

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 05:36:40 EST 2005

I'm getting thousands of these warnings when testing in g2.
(gnucash:3813): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
pango_layout_set_text()

Every time a string is displayed in the GUI, including the status bar and all
cells. I'm also getting problems editing cell contents because the text is
not being highlighted and the cursor bar doesn't appear.

gnucash-grid.c (line 0469) and gnucash-sheet.c (line 1969) contain one
reference each.
http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/gnome2/search.php?query=pango_layout_set_text

To me, it seems that we are passing a const char * to pango_layout_set_text()
when it is expecting a UTF-8 wchar_t wide char string.

Is this a character set issue (i.e. am I the only one seeing this) or should
these functions be converting const char to const wchar_t* using the C
library before calling pango?

http://www.pango.org/design.shtml
(Text Handling)

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Converting-Strings.html