Radically improve autogen.sh - cannot build trunk.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Nov 5 17:19:07 EST 2005

On Saturday 05 November 2005 9:33 pm, David Hampton wrote:
> > Works for me on FC4.

It's an automake version problem on Debian, not on OSX.

(Found a tip via Google):
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-January/003163.html

The new autogen script is incompatible with automake1.4 which I still had
installed (probably due to the old 1.8 tree?)

Now I get different warnings:
/usr/share/aclocal/tcl.m4:621: warning: underquoted definition of
SC_ENABLE_LANGINFO

The autogen script does appear to complete on Debian - once automake1.4 is
removed.

However, this does NOT help OSX - I've only got automake1.9 installed on OSX
and the new script STILL fails.

OSX has:
automake1.9 1.9.5-1
autoconf2.5 2.59-6
autoconf2.54 2.54-3

Even hacking autogen.sh to explicitly call versioned autoconf and automake -
still fails with no messages.

The old autogen.sh may have been clunky but it did allow for customised builds
on different (i.e. non Linux) platforms. This short one appears almost rigid.

--

Neil Williams