Problem with configure.in, AM_PATH_GWRAP and g-wrap 1.9

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 17:50:01 EST 2005

On Monday 14 November 2005 10:25 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > I can do the same. My FC3 box does compile G2 - but it took a whole day
> > to go from svn checkout to make dist so I don't use it as a regular test!
> > :-(
>
> Wow..  That's EXTREMELY underpowered!  A full autogen; configure; make
> clean; make; make install process on my laptop takes MAYBE 20 minutes.. I
> think it's closer to 10.
>
> > - it is a severely restricted system with far too little spare RAM
> > (laptop).

> I'm sorry to hear that.  May I suggest you spend $300 to get a cheap 2.4GHz
> Dell Desktop with 512MB RAM to use as a build machine?  It'll blow away
> your current build times, so it may be worth the money..  Assuming you have
> the space to put it.

I had been considering just such an option (only a new server rather than a
desktop) - I have a collection of quite old hardware and I've already had to
replace the power supply in one box. Those old AT power supplies are getting
hard to find! My only concern is how long it usually takes to configure a
brand new box to take the place of the old one. Putting a new box in place of
this one and downgrading this one to replace the server would be quite a bit
of fiddling. Not sure I can afford the downtime.

Wonder if it'll appear on 25/12/5 !?!? (have to drop some hints elsewhere!)

However, I don't really need to build on FC3 anymore so the laptop can be put
to tasks more appropriate to it's abilities. My build times on my main
desktop are acceptable to me, albeit not as fast as yours or David's. GnuCash
is my only large project, all my other projects are tiny by comparison.

--

Neil Williams