Is there anything *enjoyable* about our development process?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 15 09:56:23 EDT 2005

Quoting Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de>:

> I don't think that it needs to be removed completely to attract
> developers (as
> it seems it is the best solution for reports, but I don't know enough about
> Gnucash to decide). But for normal plugins it shouldn't be required to learn
> scheme just to implement them.

You don't.  There are plenty of gnucash modules that don't have
scheme and are purely C code.

> For instance I was trying to understand how the MT940 importer is invoked in
> order to maybe implement a more generic way to provide *all* importers of
> AqBanking. But I still can't see from where the init function of the module
> is called :-)

src/import-export/hbci/gncmod-hbci.c
  Look for the '...init()' function.

> Implementing the importer code itself - e.g. the import module selector etc -
> isn't too much pain (provided it is implemented in the G2 branch), but it
> isn't easy for me to see where I could glue it into gnucash without knowing
> scheme.

You don't need to know scheme.  Indeed there is ZERO scheme in the
current hbci importer in g2!  So I have no idea where you're thinking
you need to know scheme to do what you want to do!

> Hmm, I don't want to be annoying, I just want to present what kept me from
> actively contributing to gnucash.

And I'm trying to tell you that your reasoning is wrong.  You do not
need to know scheme to do what you want to do.