Request for help: Distro releases and library version table

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 17 13:29:23 EDT 2005

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb at becket.net> writes:

> Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:
>
>> Yeah, it's a pretty constrained problem.  Please try to work with me
>> here, though.  We need to target the latest-yet-oldest versions we can
>> get away with... I'm trying to find a way to make that work across
>> multiple distros.  I'm just trying to figure out what those versions are
>> so we can know what we're targeting.
>
> Let me explain.  Targeting Debian stable is not the
> latest-yet-oldest.  It's just the oldest.

Please stop being Debian-centric.  Debian is not the only
Distro in the world.  Indeed, Debian is quite unique in it's
view of the world.  Most of the other distros work quite
differently than Debian does.  Gnucash is not targeted at
Debian; indeed, it's not even targetted at Linux!

Still, we want GnuCash 2.0 to work on systems other than
just Debian/unstable.  We want it to work on RHEL4.  We
want it to work on SuSE, Mandrake, BSD, Solaris.  This
means we don't necessarily fit into the "Debian view of
the world".  And that's okay -- that's where the packager
comes in.

It's not that GnuCash isn't amenable to the Debian Funkiness,
but Debian needs to be willing to bend a little, too.