Error building gnucash 1.8.12 on OpenSuSE 10.0

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Oct 21 03:52:29 EDT 2005

Rauch Christian schrieb:
>> As it turns out, the described workaround is still correct, even for
>> OpenSuSE 10.0. In this particular case, ./configure was invoked from a
>> rpm spec file, which specified additionally the arguments ./configure
>> --host=i686-suse-linux --build=i686-suse-linux
>> --target=i686-suse-linux.
>>
>>  (...)
>> For all normal users that do not deal with a rpm spec file, the described
>>
>>   ./configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>>
>> is still sufficient.
>
> But still one question remains just for my understanding.
> Why is the argument --build sufficient for 1.8.11, but 1.8.12 needs all
> three on the same building system
> without any changes?

Read my answer ;-) .  I didn't say that the difference is between 1.8.11
and 1.8.12, but instead the difference is between building/configuring
from your rpm spec file and building by manual ./configure. The former
sets all three arguments wrongly which have then to be overridden,
whereas the latter is already set up correctly by specifying the --build
argument.

Christian