G2 Testing - gconf Druid

Volker Englisch Volker at englisch.us
Mon Oct 31 23:37:11 EST 2005

I rebuild my copy of GnuCash today and I'm retesting the gconf druid:

>>When I start gnucash a message window comes up (Cannot find default
>>values).  The Help button is highlighted by default but there is no help
>>when pressed (maybe I need to install documentation files separately?).
>

> The "Setup" button is now the default.

OK.

>>On the window titled "Choose Method" the focus sometimes disappears when
>>cycling through the options with the TAB key.
>>    "Update Search Path" --> blank --> blank --> Cancel --> Back -->
>>       Forward --> blank --> "Update Search Path" --> ...
>

> Fixed.

Tab order is OK.
However, when selecting the Forward button for the first time from the
"Choose Method" window with the option "Update search path" selected,
the window size of the next window titled "Update Search Path" is
slightly larger then the previous window (about 5 - 10 pixels).  Moving
back and forth between these two windows afterwards does not change the
window size any more.
Also, the window size does not change when moving to the "Install into
home directory" window when pressing the Forward button the first time
around.

By the way, shouldn't the window titles "Install into home directory"
and "Update search path" be capitalized?  I'm just wondering.

>>Everything works when the "Update Search Path" option is selected.
>>However, when selecting the option "I'll do it myself" on the following
>>window the last window gives the instructions to edit the .gconf.path
>>file and restart the gconf backend.  There is no mention on how to
>>restart the gconf backend.  I suggest to list the command
>>   gconftool-2 --shutdown
>>here.  Or maybe better let the user know on the previous window ("Update
>>Path") that the gconf backend will need to be restarted if the
>>.gconf.path file got modified.  With that information users might rather
>>want gnucash to do this for them.
>

> I've done both of these.

Great!  This is much better now and easy to follow.
There is one issue I can foresee though:  The option of the command
   gconftool-2 --shutdown
appears - due to the font - to be just a single dash '-' instead of two
dash '--'.  Maybe it's possible to add an extra space between those
dashes or to display the command in a fixed type font to make it more
obvious?

>>When the option "Install into home directory" is selected the option
>>"Do it for me" on the next window fails.  So does the "I'll do it
>>myself" since the shell script
>>   update-gnucash-gconf
>>is not in the default search path.
>>
>>Note:  I have gnucash installed under /opt/gnucash2
>

> The update-gnucash-gconf script is installed in the same directory as
> gnucash.  Please try again with /opt/gnucash2/bin (or wherever) in your
> search path.  Both of these cases should work with the path set.  I've
> also added a note to the text that this file must appear in your search
> path.

I couldn't find the note in the druid indicating that the file must
appear in the search path when selecting "I'll do it myself".
Other then that the instructions are easy to follow now and everything
works as expected.

--
Thanks

     Volker Englisch