pre-2.0 charset disambig. string review ui mockup

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Apr 2 03:05:50 EDT 2006

Am Samstag, 1. April 2006 16:51 schrieb Josh Sled:
>   http://asynchronous.org/tmp/encoding-ui.html
>
> I'm concerned about the tedium of clicking through a lot of "Forward"s
> to deal with strings one at a time, so I'm assuming a batch/list
> interaction.  If -- as we hope -- the vast majority of the strings need
> only a quick visual confirmation of correctness, then we should present
> them all at once to be, well, quickly confirmed.

Absolutely. I don't understand the reason for having one combobox per string.
My suggestion/favorite would be your version #1, but only with the right
column. I expect the user would have only *one* place to choose the encoding,
and this encoding will change all imported strings. So if, at a quick glance,
the strings appear incorrect, the user would choose something differently in
the *single* combobox, until the strings look correct.

In the current setups, it is not clear to me whether the expected action of
the user on seeing "wrong" strings is to click on the topmost combobox or
rather at the combobox in the respective line.

Christian