Dependency changes and release schedule for QOF 0.6.4

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 6 10:27:07 EDT 2006

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> The way QOF handled #include <glib.h> and other library headers in previous
> versions has led to applications depending on libqof having spurious
> dependencies and these cause packaging errors. (binary X links against
> library Y but does not use any symbols).
>
> This has been fixed in QOF CVS by preventing QOF headers from transparently
> including indirect dependencies - in the case of gnucash this means that
> #include <qof.h> no longer implicitly includes <glib.h> - and by fixing the
> pkg-config file to make QOF dependencies (like glib) private to qof. The
> pkg-config --libs line is now just:
> -lqof
>
> (Before it referenced -lz, -lm, -lgda2, -lglib-2.0 and others, all of which
> simply duplicated the symbols from other libraries.)

Please don't change this.  pkg-config --libs libqof should give me
EVERYTHING I need properly link libqof.  It should not be the job of
every user of your library to figure out what your build-time
dependencies are.... Unless, of course, I don't need to link against
-lgda2 when I link against -lqof?

I.e., I should be able to just use the libqof pkgconfig library list
to link against a qof app.  I shouldn't have to know e.g. glib2.

[snip]

> loaded. This option adds two translatable strings to QOF and gnucash. These
> changes therefore need to be committed to gnucash svn prior to the QOF 0.6.4
> release, in time for the gnucash string freeze. I'm hoping to make that
> commit tomorrow.

The string freeze is delayed until we solve the gnucash-1.8 encoding
update issues..  So no rush to get the new string in there.

[snip]
> QOF 0.6.4 is scheduled for release April 17th. This will be the final qof
> release prior to gnucash 2.0.

hopefully...  You never know if we find more bugs.. ;)