Newbie Thoughts

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:01:50 EDT 2006

After my first pass at starting a new gnucash data file importing from a
QIF file, I see a couple of things that would help me:

   -If I read the converted file correctly, commodities are carried to 5
decimal places by default.  Since several of my account sources are
carried to  6 decimal places, I guess I can hand-manipulate that, but it
seems that maybe more decimal places should be carried as a default,
especially once the use-multiple-currencies thing is implemented.  Maybe
it should be a configuration choice (I may have missed it).

   -Converting from the Quicken (ugh) style to the more rigid accounting
structure of gnucash causes problems immediately since Quicken's
categories are changed to accounts, but Quicken's top-level account
structure is not imported (assets, cash accounts, investments, etc.)

     +It would be helpful to me to have a command-line conversion from
the QIF to an intermediate file showing the initial account mapping
suggested and allow the user to refine the choices before converting to
the final form.

     I WILL WORK ON THIS IF THERE IS ANY INTEREST.  (If it were up to
me, I would write it in C++ or Perl.)

     +It would be helpful to do a similar kind of thing for the initial
setup of a scheduled transaction list.

By the way, I lost a lot of money upon conversion--maybe I can figure
where it went while I work on my intermediate conversion tool.

Another tidbit: the two firms handling my investments are happy to
provide QIF/OFX dumps of my complete account directly to a file so I
don't have to do the GUI import thing if I want to fine-tune the process
a little.

-Tom