gda-dev; new libgda version

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 28 16:24:08 EST 2006

Quoting Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca>:

> What I'm looking at is using AC_ARG_ENABLE to make a --disable-gda
> argument, so that for the gda-dev branch (at least for now) building the
> gda backend would be the default.

Take a look at what we do for AC_ARG_ENABLE(ofx ...)  You probably
want to duplicate that.

> This would replace the current argument which takes a path to the
> libgda-2.0.pc file.  Shouldn't that be set in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> environment variable?

Yeah, it should just use PKG_CONFIG_PATH, and the default pkgconfig
macros to look for the various configurations.   I don't think we use
pkg-config for libofx, but you could look at the libgtkhtml checks.

> What I don't understand is:
> When I pass --disable-gda, how does make know not to build that backend?
> For example, I don't pass --enable-sql, and the postgres backend is not
> built. (Right?  It's got to be right; I don't have postgres installed on
> some machines where I've built gnucash.)  But I can't seem to find how
> that information is passed from configure to the build process.

Again, look at ofx as an example.  When ofx is enabled, OFX=ofx (when
it's disabled OFX=<empty>).  Then we AC_SUBST(OFX) and in the parent
Makefile.am we use @OFX@ in SUBDIRS.