[Gnucash-changes] r13065 - gnucash/trunk - Fail 'make distcheck' if POTFILES.in contains undistributed files.

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Feb 1 17:34:16 EST 2006

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 04:55:16PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:
>
> >I imagine in _theory_ we might _want_ to distribute a file that we
> >explicitly don't want to mark for translation.  Like maybe an
> >already-translated report that generates output only valid in that one
> >language?
>
> In that case why would you have the strings marked for translation?
> I can't imagine you'd have a report that says (N_ "¿Donde esta el baño?")
> if it's already translated and specific to a particular locale.  If all
> the strings are pure strings then there's no harm in having that file
> "marked" for translation.  The reverse, however, is an issue...

Ok, that's probably a poor example.

> >Anyway, the cost of forgetting to remove a re-distributed file from
> >POTFILES.skip is pretty minor and easy to notice: it just won't be
> >translated.
>
> True, but just adding a simple check to make distcheck would solve that
> problem now, instead of wondering why strings aren't translated later
> down the road.

The thing is, the gettext programs really do expect that POTFILES.skip
may contain distributed files that aren't translated.  If we're sure
we don't want to use it for that then the reverse check is fine.

I think we wouldn't want generated files to marked for translation,
even if they were distributed.  I don't know what we'd do if we wanted
to generate a .c file that didn't match our ignore patterns.

Maybe the --maintain mode isn't that important to us because
POTFILES.in is generated, but I think the intended use of
POTFILES.skip is to include _all_ our ignored files, like gw-*.c,
test-*.c, etc.  The --maintain mode finds all files not in POTFILES.in
or POTFILES.skip which currently means all the files rejected by the
ignore patterns.

I guess it boils down to "do we care about --maintain mode?"  If we
do, we should include the distributed, non-translated files in
POTFILES.skip.  If not, we might as well call it POTFILES.nodist and
check for accidental distribution.  In that case, we're not really
keeping a list of purposely non-translated files -- it's more a list
of files that _happen_ to be non-translated by virtue of not being
distributed.  Is that what we want?

-chris