Tests and RNG

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 8 13:46:58 EST 2006

Unfortunately there's just no good way to do this..  There's no
way to record the initial random seed after-the-fact, because
it's actually initialized in libqof (in guid.c, in fact).  Also,
there's just not a good infrastructure to set an initial random
seed for the tests during the standard "make check" sequence.

Many tests do have a commented-out srand(1) to re-inialize the RNG
in order to make a deterministic test.  However, /most/ of the
time the bugs we find through the RNG are bugs in the test, not
bugs in the code being tested.

-derek