compiling gnucash2 on FC5-devel (gcc 4.1.0)

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Mon Feb 13 13:16:26 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 10:52:03AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Derek Atkins (warlord at MIT.EDU) said:
> > Quoting Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>:

> > >Pretty much supposed to be frozen except for last bugfixes at
> > >this point.
> >
> > *grf*  Okay..  :(
>
> I realize this is somewhat of a philosophical argument, but this is why
> I wouldn't dist a project with -Werror, as you never know what new warnings
> new compilers may trip you up with in the future. But other people
> see this differently than me.

Personally, I don't trust gcc to not introduce new warnings, and I'd
rather not lock users to whatever gcc version I've tested with.  So,
what I'd prefer is to enable -Werror conditionally on detecting the
gcc version that I know is supposed to be warning-free (gcc < 4.0.2 ?)
, and for newer gcc versions, drop the -Werror, but leave -Wall so
they at least show up, but don't prevent the build.

-chris