tip-of-the-day vs. the main window

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Mon Jan 2 23:02:58 EST 2006

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 18:03 -0500, David Reiser wrote:
> I'm currently using r12184, but this behavior has been fairly
> consistent lately:
>
> If the tip-of-the-day is set to display at start-up, the main window
> will lose its grip on its remembered size. i.e., with the totd
> showing during launch, the main window starts out small and aligned
> with the totd window, moves to the location of the prior gnucash run,
> briefly flashes to the 'remembered' size, and then collapses to a
> window the same width as totd, but slightly smaller vertically. The
> main window maintains its upper left corner in the correct location,
> however.
>
> If totd is not present during gnucash launch, the main window opens
> with the same size and at the same location as it ended the prior
> session.

I don't see this problem on a FC4 system running r12240.  My guess is
that this is a window manager issue.  The main window position and size
are set at the same time and then never modified.  I can't explain why
the window would shrink after being displayed at the proper size.

> Also, the totd window behaves differently if invoked from the help
> menu than if it gets created at launch. The launch version will stay
> behind the main window, or can go back behind the main window if the
> user clicks on the main window. The totd created from the Help menu
> insists on appearing in front of (and blocking the view of a portion
> of) the main screen -- even if the user clicks on the main menu and
> starts working there.

This is definitely a window manager issue.  I always see the totd float
above other gnucash windows.  I've now changed the code so that you
should be able to bring the main window to the front.

David