Error making pot file.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 16:21:24 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 8:42 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 06:06:27PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 January 2006 5:43 pm, linux at strigen.com wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > With revision 12241
> > > I got the following error when running make pot:
> > > make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../src/gnome/gncmod-budget.c',
> > > needed by `gnucash.pot'.  Stop.
> >
> > Try it with revision 12246.
> >
> > When files are removed from the source tree, POTFILES.in needs to be
> > updated. I've committed a simple modification to the make pot command
> > that automatically rebuilds POTFILES.in so that it's updated before make
> > needs to use it.
>
> Going back and reading this, I think this was a point of confusion for
> me.  You wrote `make pot` but I think you meant the
> make-gnucash-potfiles rule.

Sorry for any confusion. I'll use quotes to mark the actual rules and files:

I originally DID only modify the 'make pot' rule (to solve the initial problem
reported by Tor Harald - build 'po/POTFILES.in' by running
'./make-gnucash-potfiles' when a pot file was needed). Then Chris Shoemaker
prompted me to think about whether we needed 'po/POTFILES.in' at all and I
realised that the same command could become automatic and remove the need for
'po/POTFILES.in' in svn (because it would be overwritten anyway, causing the
problems with svn status).

As 'make pot' could make 'po/POTFILES.in', it was a small step to move one
command from that rule to a target that was seen by 'make all', leaving 'make
pot' to just do that - make 'po/gnucash.pot'.

I haven't modified the rule to *build* 'make-gnucash-potfiles' - it was always
made by 'make' - I've simply ensured that './make-gnucash-potfiles' is
*executed* after being built by 'make' to create 'po/POTFILES.in'.

One critical element: In the top level Makefile.am, . for the current
directory, must precede po. This is already in place for gnucash but I did
have to modify this in another project - so I thought I'd note it here that
this sequence (like many others) is important.

Shall we now remove the 'po/POTFILES.in' stub?

--

Neil Williams