libqof variables in configure.in (Fwd: gentoo ebuild)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Jan 9 04:22:35 EST 2006

Hi,

Neil Williams schrieb:
>>someone on the gnucash-de list tries to create a gentoo ebuild for
>>gnucash-SVN.
>
> I suggest hinting DESTDIR, e.g. a Fink build uses
> InstallScript: <<
>  make install DESTDIR=%d
> <<

Forwarded this suggestion to the original person who asked.

>>In his case this got an error (copy below) on installing the
>>qsfschema_DATA files in lib/libqof/backend/file , because they were about
>>to be installed in an absolute path instead of something below the
>>sandbox's $prefix. I checked configure.in and saw the definition of the
>>absolute path in QOF_XML_DIR.
>
> It is not absolute, it uses the $prefix value - precisely as it should.

That's right - my wording was inaccurate. It's not absolute in
configure.in, but it's absolute in lib/libqof/backend/file/Makefile
where other similar paths there usually still include the ${prefix}
variable.

>>        QOF_VERSION="internal"
>>        QOF_PREFIX="internal"
>>-       QOF_XML_DIR=`eval echo ${datadir}/xml/qsf`
>>+       QOF_XML_DIR="\${datadir}/xml/qsf"
>

> And what do you think that change would achieve?

Currently, on --prefix=/my/prefix, the Makefile will contain:

QOF_XML_DIR=/my/prefix/share/xml/qsf

With the proposed change, the Makefile will contain:

QOF_XML_DIR=${datadir}/xml/qsf

The whole point of the Makefile.am rules to create the bla.h files from
the bla.h.in files (the rules with the comment "we borrowed convention
from guile...") was to enable the latter one, because in the Makefile
the ${datadir} will be evaluated to the current value of ${prefix} et
al., whereas in configure the variable ${prefix} is not yet set (which
is the "NONE" that you had to fix manually).

> Your original premise in inaccurate - the problem does not exist as portrayed.
> If this was a bug report, I'd tag it "won't fix" and close it.

This statement is missing a little bit of diplomacy... The original
problem does exist as portrayed or otherwise I wouldn't have reported
it. A proper solution needs to be discussed. DISTDIR may or may not be
the proper solution, we'll see.

Christian