Account Template Questions

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Jan 11 04:59:25 EST 2006

Hi Tor,

linux at strigen.com schrieb:
> A couple of questions about accounts:

for avoiding ambiguities I'd call these files "account templates"...

> 1: I found the fault...(Why my norwegian accounts didn't work) The
> Conglomerate XML editor is cutting away the "gnc-act:" from the xml tags.
> (A bug i think... it does it with all the files it edits). An updated
> norwegian account list will be sent later.

Ok. I saw an error message in the trace file /tmp/gnucash.trace, but it
wasn't obvious which file was errorneous. I edit those files directly in
(x)emacs, so I didn't have to deal with XML-editor behaviour before.

> Shouldn't there be an error
> issued when the account files are badly formed? (My accounts didn't show
> up at all, even if there was only one file that was wrong.)

Yes, maybe we should issue a better error message as an error dialog or
on stdout, instead of only writing to /tmp/gnucash.trace, but I don't
know how to fix that easily.

> 2: The account category "Full Chart" is showing up, but not the
> description, and it is not showing any accounts either. This is an exact
> copy from the /C folder. I cant see anything that is wrong with it
> either.... Can some experienced user have a look at it?

Do you mean this account template has been copied to the
$datadir/gnucash/accounts/nb directory? From the files you submitted as
a patch I didn't mark the accntchart_full for installation, only for
inclusion in the tarball.

> 3: Why does my editors mess up the norwegian characters? I've seen it now
> with the conglomerate editor, and when i write a draft for my emails in an
> editor, and later send them to the list. (I've seen a couple of you
> "complain" about "strange" characters in the mails..

I'm afraid some of the account template files have contradicting
encodings. The encoding of most account template files is something
other than UTF-8 and IIRC the respective encoding (like "ISO-8859-1") is
at least noted correctly in the very first line of the XML file. As long
as the editor and gnucash's libxml2 honor this setting, they will
correctly read the file.

But problems start if your XML editor ignores this setting and writes
the Norwegian characters in "UTF-8", although the very first line of the
XML file still claims that the file is in "ISO-8859-1". *If* your XML
editor writes UTF-8, then you can fix the problem by changing the very
first line of the XML file and specifying encoding="UTF-8".

Christian