htdocs and gettext

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 13:50:29 EST 2006

On Monday 23 January 2006 6:16 pm, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 17:45 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Umm, no. If anything, PHP becomes a little more important as although the
> > TRANSLATIONS are handled via PO, the CONTENT strings now need to be
> > wrapped in php functions.
>
> Oh, that's too bad.  I'd rather we were less coupled to PHP.

It's still useful, even though our content isn't as dynamic as a
database-driven site. e.g. the News items would be a royal PITA to handle via
SHTML or "baking" because the resulting index page would be a nightmare to
edit.

<asbestos>
I like PHP as much as you or Derek may like Emacs/Scheme so we aren't going to
see eye to eye on this one! Now if only Scheme was as easy as PHP . . . .
</asbestos>
:-)

We do have dynamic or at least changeable pages and scripts, there is some
automation and code reuse. It would be pointless to leave all that behind.

Right now, if someone commits a new News item, it would appear instantly.
That's useful.

> I don't
> see why it's necessary for our web site, which is pretty much entirely
> static.

and the reason it has to stay that way is ? ??? There are more dynamic things
we can do with the site once this is all done.

However, PHP is already worth using, IMHO, if only because of the inherent
code reusage.

CodeHelp has lots on PHP but there's only tiny database usage behind it (and
that only as a demo). A site doesn't have to have a database to benefit from
PHP - or to be termed "dynamic".

Maybe we could parse XML to make it anonymous (for bug reports), maybe we
could do lots of other things - just because gnucash.org has *been* a little
static until now doesn't mean it should stay that way.

--

Neil Williams