Getting started on testing and reading documents

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 6 12:18:34 EDT 2006

Pull down the gnucash-docs.   Yes, http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide

> 2.  (gnucash:16742): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from
> `GncEmbeddedWindow' to `GncMainWindow'
> I want to debug the above message.  What does the 16742 mean?

16742 is the ProcessID.  The way to solve this is to run under gdb and
run --g-fatal-warnings, which will cause an abort() at the place where
this happens.  Note, however, that there may be more warnings in
/tmp/gnucash.trace and your --g-fatal-warnings might die there instead.

> 3.  When I choose "since last run" under actions/scheduled transactions, I
> get many transactions listed in "auto created transaction list".  Maybe this
> is because the last thing I did last summer was import lots of stuff from
> QIF files I made from the PDF files Citibank provides for years back
> statements.  I wanted to look in the documentation to see under what
> circumstances transactions get created and why am I hearing about them now?
> google for "site:cvs.gnucash.org auto-created" did not find anything in the
> concept guide but it did lead to code related to the subject.

QIF has nothing to do with SX.  I dont know why this is happening.

> 4.  Anyone know what this gdb warning means:
> (gdb) attach 29355
> Attaching to process 29355
> warning: The current VSYSCALL page code requires an existing execuitable.
> Use "add-symbol-file-from-memory" to load the VSYSCALL page by hand
>
> In more detail:
>
> I've started working on my gnucash files, untouched since last August.  I've
> got svn revision 14341 built with enable-debug and with no -O2 so gdb
> doesn't get confused.
>
> $ PATH=/opt/gnucash/bin:$PATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gnucash/lib/pkgconfig
> make distclean
> $ svn update
> $ CFLAGS=-g PATH=/opt/gnucash/bin:$PATH
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gnucash/lib/pkgconfig ./configure
> --enable-compile-warnings --prefix /opt/gnucash --enable-debug
> $ PATH=/opt/gnucash/bin:$PATH PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/gnucash/lib/pkgconfig
> make
> # make install
>
> I want to know how to build the latest documentation.  I'm looking at
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Concept_Guide
>
> I ran
> $ svn checkout http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/gnucash-docs/trunk gnucash-docs
>
> and reran the build, but it didn't seem to do anything with the document
> files.

Did you "make install"?