New logo stuff update

Adrian Simmons adrinux at perlucida.com
Tue May 23 05:14:52 EDT 2006

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> added drop shadows
I'm glad you picked up the money idea, you've done a fantastic job with it!
The one small suggestion I have is to make the drop shadows proportional,
the bank notes are thinner than coins but have the same size shadow, I think
they need a more subtle one.

My original comments about clutter still stand, but then I'm very much a
less is more type of person when it comes to visual design.

On the splash I'd still like to see:
A flat color background, or possibly a monochromatic gradient.
The swoosh removed from the header area.

I would echo the comments about the screenshot, the perspective and
generally the way it looks. My suggestion would be to remove the screenshot
and make the money bigger since you've done such a brilliant job with them =D
Alternatively perhaps removing the window and ledger parts of the screen
shot and just having a report page would work nicely - after all it's a
splash screen, people will be seeing the actual Gnucash window in a few
seconds anyway :)

I'd also echo Matt's comments (again repeating my earlier comments) about
the logo typeface. I think it needs more impact, bolder certainly, and
perhaps using small caps instead of lowercase for the nu and ash if you see
what I mean. When it comes to money I like to see something 'solid' and
'trustworthy'. The current typeface looks to flimsy.

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner4.png
Here I like the swoosh, it adds energy - again, the typeface is too flimsy.
As for the card and money - I don't think you can get away with just
shrinking them, at least in the case of the card, a more stylized cartoonish
version might work better at that size - at least make the Gnu's face white
or something so we can see it.

Lastly, don't forget that you can't please everybody, and don't try to use
everyone's diametrically opposed idea's - got to go with you're own vision
in the end. :)
I'm also tempted to ask if you'd release the documents you're using so
myself and others could play too, but I don't really have time and I don't
want to steal your thunder...

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>
e-mail <mailto:adrinux at perlucida.com>