Cross-platform GUI

Bob Hunter catdogbeloved at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 12:17:11 EST 2006

Dave Reiser wrote:

> But you're the one who can't be bothered building
from source. None of  the bundle-KDE flavors are
available as binaries from fink for OS X 10.4 (and
we're about to hit 10.5). And it takes 3 _days_ to
compile KDE on most Macs these days (down from 6 or 7
in the last hardware generation).

How much I enjoy spelling my thoughts...

KDE is built on top of Qt. If my earlier notes on
xwidgets were not sufficiently motivating, you may
consider dropping gtk in favour of Qt, based on
explicit hints that linus(x) uses Qt-based KDE as gui.
Now, using Qt would allow not only to run gnucash
under KDE, but also to run it under windows, osx, and
sun ... natively, compiling from the same source code,
that is, you could finally deliver binaries of
gnucash, not only for linux, but also for the major
commercial systems, thus boosting drammatically the
user base.

I also posted a note on how to get money, in case you
need to hire more developers, or pay the existing ones
for that matter.

I would really like to read "Yes, after thorough
consideration we decided to port gnucash to Qt and
deliver binaries for all the major platforms. To boost
the community of developers we also decided to open a
PayPal account. Thank you for your useful
recommendations and for your time".