Automatically split transactions with sales tax or VAT (Value added tax) when a transaction is booked to an sales or value-added-tax related account

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Wed Nov 15 07:27:18 EST 2006

>>> The business features (including Tax Tables) are outside the
>>> scope of the register.  I've been working on adding the hooks
>>> to get callbacks when transactions are entered, but right now
>>> that's still a ways off.
>>>
>>> I don't expect that I will ever, personally, implement this feature,
>>> so if you really want it I'd recommend finding a developer that
>>> wants to do it.
>>>
> Who do yo suggest? Who could be interested in adding the feature? Who can we
> contact?
>
> If you want to I can ask more businesses and tax accountants what they think
> about this feature.
I understand Derek's point of view 100%. He has no need of the feature,
his resources (and those of the other active developers) are limited,
and they will in general work on what they feel to be of use to them. To
a certain extent, those of us using gnucash to run businesses rather
then to handle personal finances are out on a limb. If ease of use and
functionality were the only criteria then I should be using Sage or
QuickBooks. However, I have a dogged and somewhat fanatical belief in
the Open Source model, and a hatred of Microsoft that goes, possibly,
beyond the reasonable. This is why I use open source software to run my
business and my life, and why I have persisted with Gnucash for many
years. I have tremendous respect for Derek and the other developers and
give daily thanks for the unpaid work they have put in to make Gnucash
what it is.

One of these days, when I'm not spending 3 hours a day commuting,
working 8 hours a day at my day job and then coming home to run an
ecommerce company in the evening, I'll try and put some development time
into Gnucash.

Nigel