Budget report improvements

Steven Wilton swilton at q-net.net.au
Fri Sep 8 23:51:58 EDT 2006

I like the budget feature in gnucash 2.0, but there were a few features that
I felt were missing in the report.  Unfortunately I've not programmed in
guile or lisp before, but I gave it a shot, and thought I'd send the work
I'd done to this list in case anyone else thinks the features are useful.

The patch does 3 things:
1 - It adds the sub-accounts in the budget columns to give a total.  I did
this because the actual columns already contained the total of all
sub-accounts.
2 - It adds an option to make the budget and actual amounts cumulative.
3 - It allows the user to select a single budget period to show data for.
4 - It reduces the displayed accounts to income and expense only (not a core
feature, but it was the only way I could see to easily remove all the asset
and liability accounts from the report)
5 - It makes the default display depth 3, once again not a core feature.

There are a few bugs that I'm aware of:
1 - For some reason the code that adds the sub-totals for the budget columns
sometimes ends up with a blank entry.  I have no idea why this is ocurring,
as there is no pattern that I can see.
2 - The report takes a very long time to run.  I've probably done something
wrong int he code to make it run slowly.
3 - The number of periods that are displayed in the options menu is
hard-coded to 12.  This value should really be obtined from the number of
periods in the budget.

I hope the work I've done is useful.

regards

Steven