PATCH: Advanced portfolio report revisions

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 9 13:53:50 EST 2007

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 09:18:04PM -0800, Segundo Bob wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> 	Thanks for the hint about FIFO, FILO.  We had overlooked these options.

I'm glad that helps. Of course the default, Average, should work as
well, and it does in as much as the calculations are correct, but due
to a lack of rounding, and the method that gnucash stores fractions,
we get an overflow situation. I'll be patching that soon.

... snip comparison of MS money and gnucash.

> We believe that the Microsoft-Money "% Rate of Return" is "Return for period" divided by "Buys".  This seems to be a not very meaningful number.
> We believe, but we are not sure, that the Microsoft-Money "Annual % Return" is the Internal Rate of Return (IRR).  See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/131664. We believe that the IRR is the "best" measure of return, because it allows any two investments to be meaningfully compared..  The calculation is non-trivial.  I recommend "Financial Calculation Programs for Linux" by James Shapiro at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2545.  He gives C, Java, and Perl programs for calculating IRR.

Thanks for the links.

> We find all the columns in the GnuCash report useful and we think it would be worthwhile to add columns for "income" and "realized gain."

great! I'm glad it's working for you.

The additional information, income and realized gain, are longer term
projects and I can't make any reasonable guess when, or even if, they
will be done. But I'll put them on the list ;)