random emacs tips [WAS: Re: r16600 - gnucash-docs/trunk/guide/C - Correct …]

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Sat Dec 22 14:55:35 EST 2007

Andrew Sackville-West <ajswest at mindspring.com> writes:
> Certainly I would benefit greatly from a "tips and tricks" page but
> most of that actually applies to emacs in general and wouldn't really
> belong on a gnucash page. Since the only coding I currently do is
> gnucash, the gnucash devs are forced to teach me emacs in exchange for
> bits of broken report code rife with spelling errors. Seems fair to me
> :-P

Heh heh. :)

cscope
------

At the top of your source tree `make cscope.out`.

In emacs, while in a .c or .h file, while point is on a function, try «C-c s
g» to invoke cscope-find-global-definition, to jump to the thing's
implementation.

While in a function «C-c s c» to invoke
cscope-find-functions-calling-this-function, which is pretty useful.

emacs code browser
------------------

I don't use it all that often, but the emacs code browser
<http://ecb.sourceforge.net/> is pretty nifty.  «M-x ecb-activate» will get
it active in a buffer, then «C-c . l w» will toggle the navigation pane,
showing a tree of everything (includes, typedefs, local variables, function
signatures, classes, &c.) defined in the file.  «C-c . g m» will goto this
"method" pane for selection/naviagation.  I'm sure that's just the surface of
ECB, which I really should learn in depth.  One of the nice things about ECB
is that it supports multiple languages … C, scheme, elisp, python, java …

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}