A couple of questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 2 15:21:31 EST 2007

Quoting John Schmerge <john.schmerge at qlogic.com>:

> Hi guys,
>
>  I'm a developer who's been using gnucash for about six months and
> really like the program... It's allowed me to really start to track some
> things regarding my finances that I never thought about. Anyway, I'd
> like to start helping out with the development. Being that its a fairly
> large application and that my experience with scheme is fairly limited,
> can anyone give me some ideas of a couple of smaller tasks that I could
> start with that will get me some familiarity with the code-base as well
> as get me up to speed with scheme?

Where does this idea keep propagating that you need to know scheme to
work on gnucash?  Yes, GnuCash uses scheme, and some parts are written
in scheme, but only about 15% of the source code is in Scheme.  About
80% is in C.    I really wish we could finally kill this idea that you
have to know scheme to work on GnuCash.

Having said that, if you want to learn Scheme then I'd recommend that
you google for "MIT Scheme Documentation".  It's a great resource.

As for what to work on.. Well, what would you LIKE to work on?
Some of the projects that I think need to get done:

  * register rewrite.  There's a branch for this, but the project needs
    get finished.  We'd also need to make sure the new register works for
    Accounts, SXes, and the business Invoices.
  * qif rewrite.  I started to rewrite the QIF importer but never finished.
    This way we can hook the qif import into the same UI as OFX and HBCI
    importers, and also get rid of some of the scheme!  :)
  * GDA.  Maybe Phil wants some help?
  * QOF-GObject.  Maybe Daniel wants some help?

I'm not sure what other active development projects are out there at the
moment.

Another option is to go over Bugzilla, triage the bugs, try to reproduce
them, and maybe take a stab at fixing them.