Commodities and reports

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Feb 15 18:33:47 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 17:38 -0500, John Schmerge wrote:
> Also, I'm wondering if the current report rendering engine can support
> anything more advanced than basic scatter-plots... Can someone provide
> me a link to some info on this? I'm almost leaning towards having this
> type of graphing capability be an actual tool, hanging off of the tools
> menu, rather than a report. Any thoughts?

We use goffice for graphing.  It's the graphing engine from gnumeric, so
it fundamentally supports everything that gnumeric can do.

The gnucash reports, however, only support basic scatter, box and pie
charts.

It's relatively straightforward to support new types, however.  See the
handle_{piechart,barchart,scatter} in
src/gnome-utils/gnc-html-graph-gog.c to get an idea of how much is
involved.  That's the side that gets a callback from GtkHtml for an
<object> tag in the report-generated html that contains a particular
type of chart data.  Note that there's a corresponding chunk of code on
the scheme report side to emit the appropriately-formatted <object>
block in the HTML, of course.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - a=jsled;b=asynchronous.org;echo ${a}@${b}