Merging trunk changes into branches

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 16 12:45:16 EST 2007

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

>> Merging in other branches could make my job easier (e.g. certain
>> aspects of the GObject branch would make the GDA branch easier) but
>> would also add unwanted project dependencies, so my guess is that it
>> would be frowned on.
>
> For the separate development branches we pretty much don't care about
> dependencies. Just use whatever makes your life easier.

Having said that, however, if you cherry-pick from another development
branch then it MIGHT cause merge problems later, so do that with care!

Merging from TRUNK is fine as much as you want, just make sure you put
the revision numbers in your merge commit message because SVN doesn't
keep track of that for you.  When you merge from trunk you should make
sure to pull in ALL changes from the last merge point.