Re (IRC): 2.2.0 and auto-save

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Jul 5 15:53:10 EDT 2007

Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2007 16:56 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> >> Following this way of thought I would decide for choice #1, leave
> >> as-is for 2.2.0. What do the other developers say?
> >
> > For better or for worse, we've conditioned users (me included) to
> > expect that they can 1) open GnuCash, 2) make undesired changes for
> > the purposes of exploration or experimentation, 3) close GnuCash w/o
> > saving, and 4) re-open GnuCash with their data in exactly the state
> > they last saved it.
>
> * me too *  :(

Not me, though. But interesting - I haven't thought about users who got
accustomed to this particular behaviour. You're all right, this must not be
changed silently. I was only thinking about new users.

> > ==== Auto-save ====
> >   Do you want to auto-save your data file?
> >   [some explanation of the implications;]
> >   [explanation that this can be customized in Preferences]
> >
> >      [Yes, just this once] [Yes, always] [No, not right now *] [No,
> > * default
> >
> > So, I'm fine with #2, #3, or #4, but not with #1.
>
> I like this option #4, too.  I'm also with Chris here with #2, #3, or
> #4 but not #1.  I think I'd prefer #4, then #3, then #2.

Okay, so we're going for this dialog with choices. Are you up for doing this?
I don't know off-hand how to implement the bunch of buttons in gtk the
easiest...

Christian