QIF Import code for Multiple Currency Accounts

Agni Dasa info at uc3.com
Fri Jul 13 09:36:45 EDT 2007

Hi GnuCash Developers,

I just installed the latest version of GnuCash 2.1.5 for Windows and tried
importing my Quicken 2002 Premier Home & Busness QIF file that includes
multiple currency accounts. The QIF import wizard reported that GnuCash
does not currently handle multiple currency QIF file imports and that this
limitation should be removed soon. Does anyone have any idea about how
soon multiple currency QIF imports will be available?

I really depend on that feature so I can switch over to GnuCash which as far
as I have seen is the best accounting software available for accounting
newbies like myself. I'm sure that there may be hundreds or maybe even
thousands who are also waiting for this feature so they can switch over to
GnuCash but when they see that it's not available they just move on without
trying to contact the development team. So I'm asking on behalf of all those
who chose to remain silent.

I already emailed Bill Gribble who is listed in the credit list of GnuCash as the
original developer of the QIF import but he responded at follows:

> No, I'm sorry; I haven't worked on GnuCash in several years, and I don't
> follow its development.  You might try a request to the gnucash-devel
> mailing list to see who is currently maintaining the QIF import code.
>
> Since the import process is something that you will only have to do one
> time, you might try to export each account to a separate QIF file, each
> file having only one currency, so the job of the QIF importer is
> simpler.  I don't use Quicken so I don't know exactly how to do that,
> but I believe it is possible.

I tried his suggestion to export each account into a separate QIF files each
having only one currency but after I imported them into GnuCash and
imported the foreign currency account separately and specified the currency
of that account the resulting numbers in GnuCash were not what they were
supposed be maybe because of transfers between the foreign currency
account and the other accounts.

Anyway, please let us know who is currently maintaining the QIF import code
and how soon multiple currency QIF imports will be available. Thanks and we
are looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Agni Dasa