startup delay

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Wed Jul 18 09:28:10 EDT 2007

Derek Atkins schrieb:
> Herbert Thoma <herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Some weeks ago we changed the startup sequence: The main window
>> now only shows up after all reports are computed.
>> I have a couple of reports open, so it takes quite a while
>> until the main window shows up. I find this quite annoying.
>> Can we change this back or make it configurable?
>
> Hmm, that's a good point..  The reason this change got made was
> because it was visually unappealing to have the window show up
> before it's fully drawn.  It winds up resizing itself multiple
> times and then relocates itself.  So the idea was to delay the
> visibility until it's done, and the splash screen would show you
> that something is happening.

The problem is that the splash screen disappears after about 10 seconds but the
main window only appears a lot later. So a solution would be to really show the
splash screen until the main window shows up (and displaying something like
"rendering report <report name>" in the status line of the splash screen).

> I dont know how hard it would be to make it configurable.  You
> can file an RFE in Bugzilla.

OK, I filed this as bug #457944.

 Herbert.

--