QIF importer

Chintan Agarwal chintan.agarwal at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 01:33:08 EDT 2007

The plan for qif importer is as follows and suggestions/guidance is welcome!
The following flow(taken from the qif documentation) has to be followed for
the QIF importer. It is the same(almost) in respect to what happens
presently except the way it will be implemented.

      Action                                      corresponding function
a. Create the context                        qif_context_create(already
exists in /src/import-export/qif)
b. Add/Remove files to be imported
b1. Add file                                     qif_file_new(already exists
in /src/import-export/qif)
b2  Remove file                               qif_file_remove(already exists
in /src/import-export/qif)
b2. Parse the added file                   qif_file_parse(already exists in
/src/import-export/qif)
c. merge internally                           to be made(is there a generic
one that could be used as is desirable?)
d. map qif accounts to gnucash accounts   something exists in
/src/import-export but has to be tested to see if it works
e. map qif categories to gnucash accounts something exists in
/src/import-export but has to be tested to see if it works
f. map qif securities to gnucash commodities  something exists in
/src/import-export but has to be tested to see if it works
g. duplicate detection with existing gnucash txns  to be made(is there a
generic one that could be used as is desirable?)
h. transaction matcher (map one-sided txns using Payee/Memo info)
something exists in /src/import-export but has to be tested to see if it
works

The way I'll proceed is that I'll strip the gnucash code of the qif
backend(help on how to do this gracefully is required). The idea is to
substitute the required functions by dummy functions that do nothing(except
continuing the flow of import). Then, one by one, as per the flow of
qif-import, I'll replace the dummy functions by the completed one and test
it. The idea is to incrementally integrate, modify, test and develop the
importer.
I understand that the development is behind what I had initially planned but
I certainly hope to cover up soon.
Thanks.

-Chintan