finance::quote finally working for me in Windows

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Wed May 2 11:31:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 02.05.2007, 10:44 -0400 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Andreas Köhler <andi5.py at gmx.net> writes:
> > Both problems can solved by using an environment variable like GNC_PERL
> > (no, it does not work yet).  The value could be /c/perl/bin/perl or
> > wperl, respectively.  I still wonder whether there is way to use
> > GNC_PERL without
> >
> > * depending on the existence of wperl
> > * using gnucash.bat, because actually I want to get rid of it
> > * polluting the users environment variables without telling him
> > (install-fq-mods.bat could ask and try, or recommend doing it yourself)

> Who installs perl/wperl?  Don't we?  Don't we SHIP perl as
> part of our installer?

The user.  We do NOT ship perl, whether ActivePerl or some other:

* The MSI installer packages are 16 MB (or 8 MB for AP 5.6) in size.
Avoids bloating the setup.exe unnecessarily (OK, Qt is much larger ;-))
* Allow using a pre-installed ActivePerl
* No need to think about licensing
* No need to care about updating

If there are cons for shipping ActivePerl other than "make it even
easier than [1]", please tell me :-)

> -derek

-- andi5

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#Finance::Quote