Similarities between CSV and QIF importers?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 29 09:36:52 EDT 2007

Quoting Benjamin Sperisen <lasindi at gmail.com>:

> Hi Chintan,
>
> I am the summer of code student working on the CSV importer. My mentor
> (Josh Sled) suggested that I try seeing if there are any similarities
> between the QIF and CSV importers that we could work on, and that
> seems like a good idea to me (why reinvent wheels?). I have code at
> the moment that can read in a CSV file and create a two-dimensional
> GPtrArray containing the cells as strings. Is this at all similar to
> the data structure you parse QIF files into (or plan to use as you
> rewrite the importer in C)?

You may or may not care, but I have the bare bones of a druid builder
in subversion..  It lets you define "druid page sets" and then build
a druid by combining these page sets at runtime.  This way you don't
need to rebuild full druids for things that are similar, such as
choosing data files or mapping items or whatever.  Granted, this
code isn't actually USED by anything, so feel free to ignore it.

Eventually you should map yourself into the Generic Importer interface
so you can use that GUI piece for mapping the transactions into gnucash
accounts.