Fwd: World friendlier printable invoices

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Oct 3 08:51:56 EDT 2007

"P. Christeas" <p_christ at hol.gr> writes:
> Lurking in this list, I have only read the last postings, so excuse me if I'm
> wrong:
> Would it pay to let PHP access the invoice data (sth. like a PHP module with
> bindings to gnc model) ? Then, PHP, widely adopted for html templating, could
> handle all sorts of forms.

Sure.

I think there's two main approaches:

1/ use an explicitly language-neutral templating language such as
ClearSilver.

2/ pick a new preferred reports language and use a templating system written
in it (python: mako, genshi; perl: Template::Toolkit, HTML::Mason; php: itself)

As for picking PHP as that language, I think it has some important marks in
its 'Con' column.

1/ it appears to be a very large dependency (relative to perl or python)

2/ it's not already installed on system- or desktop- boxes (in the way perl
   or python have been for a while now).

3/ it sucks.

--
...jsled