Posting time bug fix proposal (simplified)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 19 12:33:40 EDT 2008

"Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart at gathman.org> writes:

> It takes more than a simple patch, but the date bug can be completely
> squashed by simply storing the timezone in the in memory register.  It could be
> as compact as a time_t plus a 1 byte index into a timezone table.  All
> register dates are displayed (and all scheduling done) relative to the
> associated timezone, not the system timezone.  This preserves the date, *and*
> the time of day across any changes to the system timezone, and is guaranteed
> not to break old versions (any more than they were already broken) or book
> closing code.
>
> It might not even be that bad a change to the register.  Add the tz field
> to the in memory data, and a tweak to the date display code.

While good in theory, we would somehow need to store this data
in the data file as well.  But I suppose we could do that -- instead
of converting and writing out in the local tz we could always
write out in the original tz....