GnuCash Hardware renewal: call for input

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:52:29 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> "Tom Browder" <tom.browder at gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> I like the ECC memory for config 2--highly recommended feature.
>
> For some reason this company <http://www.pcsforeveryone.com/> does
> not provide ECC memory for the Intel system, and only provides ECC
> for the AMD system.

Are those the best prices you've found for an assembled system?  Have
you considered rolling your own?  (Although, after my most recent
experience, I might reconsider ever rolling my own again!)

> I do like the fact that the AMD system has more expandability, more
> RAM slots, etc.  It's certainly cheaper to get 8x2GB than 4x4GB.

Agree.

> One thing I don't really understand is the main difference between
> the Intel(R) Xeon(R) L5420 2.50GHz and the Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5420 2.50GHz.
> I.e., other than the "voltage", what's the difference between
> the L series and the E series?  Is the performance the same,
> just lower power consumption?

This comparison link

(http://compare.intel.com/pcc/default.aspx?familyid=5&culture=en-US&iid=products_xeon5000+body_compare)

just shows the L to be a lower power user.  Otherwise, to me, being in
the same model class implies essentially the same performane.

-Tom