GnuCash Localizations

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Feb 16 07:35:01 EST 2008

Am Samstag, 16. Februar 2008 11:25 schrieb Thilo Pfennig:
> GnuCash is one of the
> applications where localization is more than just translating the
> interface - or potentially it could.

Yes. On the other hand I think this has been handled in the gnucash core
distribution just fine. Language teams that wanted to submit more than "just"
a translation have very much the possibility to do so: In addition to the
normal translations, the gnucash core repository accepts account templates,
the documentation translation, even locale-dependent features (like
the --enable-locale-specific-tax, as broken as it might be, but at least it
is possible). I think from a technical point of view enough options are
offered.

> So my idea or question is if it wouldnt be a good thing to split up the
> repository. So for example there is one core GnuCash module - and that
> this is what people get as a gnucash.tar.gz, while they would have to
> install other packages to get what makes sense for them. For example
> one could have something like gnucash-germany which could have
> dependecy to (certainly) GnuCash core, but also to some accounting
> methods or features.

I'm sorry, but I disagree here. I don't think it is a good idea to split up
the repository.

As I said above, IMHO the infrastructure already exists for many different
levels of localizations. IMHO it is merely an issue of country / localization
contributors - we don't have more localization because no further
contributors are there. Encouraging another form of "splitting up" for
third-party "downstream modules" IMHO would give you almost no benefit here,
whereas you immediately get a whole bunch of drawbacks. To mention a few: API
synchronization issues, requirements of handling more than one translation
domain (which will be a pain in the backside in libglade), different levels
of code auditing and proof-reading, much less cross-platform testing for the
downstream modules, etc. etc.

Nevertheless, this is GPL software and we already have a plugin system up and
running, hence nobody is hindering anyone to offer a "gnucash plus my
preferred localization extensions" to the public. But speaking as a gnucash
core developer, I can't see how a repository organization different from our
current one would give anyone any noticable gain in terms of localization
features.

Regards,

Christian