AUTHORS

Charles Day cedayiv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 16:04:26 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>
wrote:

> Am Freitag, 29. Februar 2008 20:07 schrieb Andreas Köhler:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > to me it seems as if we do not really keep the AUTHORS file up-to-date.
> > At least I tend to hesitate because of the needs to
> >
> > * describe what patch contributors contributed
> > * describe possible future work to avoid necessary updates
> > * decide when "other contributors" evolve to "main developers"
> > * describe what they do and have done even more verbosely then
> >
> > So I would like to propose something completely different :-D  What
> > about simply listing names without email addresses or descriptions,
> > merging the two categories of contributors and sorting them
> > lexicographically (as if written in some form of latin letters),
> > something like the attachment.  I would also offer to gather all the
> > missing names from 2007 and 2008.
>
> Yes, that's probably much better. For the most part the short sentence
> describing the (?) contribution is inaccurate at best. So we should simply
> get rid of it.

If I might add the perspective of a newer contributor, I found the
descriptions following the main developers' names to be helpful insofar as a
small orientation on who's who, what particular areas of the product they
mainly work on, and some of the development history. There are not that
many, and the early ones are unlikely to need updating. I can certainly see
the big list of contributors being a maintenance chore, and no doubt the
email addresses quickly get out of date.

Cheers,
Charles