r16802 - gnucash/branches/2.2/po - [r16782] Move distributed qif source files into POTFILES.ignore, fixes make distcheck.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 8 08:41:25 EST 2008

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

>>       * Distributed files in POTFILES.skip will break 'make distcheck',
>>         because there is a custom check, probably to avoid forgetting to
>>         mark files translatable.
>
> Yes. Someone (Derek? Dave_p?) implemented this after we repeatedly found
> several strings in files that we forgot to mark as translatable.

That would be me.  The problem was that people would add translatable
strings to files and then forget to add them to the POTFILES.  This
changed a little when ChrisS introduced the automated POTFILES
generator and then we had to tell it which files to ignore,
because the files weren't distributed or otherwise.

> Derek wrote:
>> I'd support B, but honestly this is a tough problem to solve..  If
>> we ever DO migrate to the new QIF importer then we'll need to remember
>> to undo this.
>>
>> So I wonder if it wouldn't just be better to #ifdef the code.
>> Or does the gettext stuff ignore that?
>
> The gettext extraction ignores any #ifdef conditionals -- it doesn't have a C
> pre-processor, only a lexical parser. I think the easiest way to ensure this
> doesn't get forgotten is to have the menu item string in one of those files
> as well. An untranslated menu item is found rather quickly once it actually
> shows up in the program.
>
> Thanks a lot for this!

So you're saying we should just remove the _ or N_ from the
non-distributed files for now?  (well, I'd suggest "comment-out"
instead of "remove").